TRACING THE TRAJECTORY OF THE CONCEPT OF KUDI IN TAMIL LITERARY SOURCES FROM SANGAM TO BHAKTHI ERA
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2020 Mohana A
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The socio historical formation of each society is based on the negotiations of class contradictions in each society at a particular historical juncture. Literature can be used as a resource to trace its dynamics to some extent. Prof. Sivathambi has attempted to establish the notion of tinai as the basis of Tamil social unit and also emphasized the need to study the formation of Tamil society in each era based on the occupations of the people, production relations, formation of commercial systems and the State. This paper is an attempt to study the semantic realm of the word ‘kudi’ in select Sangam texts (Purananuru and Madurai Kanchi), Tirukkural, Silappadhikaram and Appar’s Thevaram.
- Pathuppattu (1889). Commentator Nachinarkkiniar, Dravida Rathnagara Achukudam, U.V.Saminatha Iyer publisher, Tamilnadu.
- Ilangovadigal (Au), (1892), Silappathikaram, Commentators Arumpatha Uriai, Adiarku nallar Urai, U.V.Saminatha Iyer (Publisher), Chennai.
- Parimelagar, (1937), Thirukkural Kazhagaveliyidu, Thirunelveli.
- Thiruavukkarasar Thevaram (1962), Kazhaga Veliyidu, Thirunelveli.
- Ilangovadigal (Au), (1992), Silappathikaram N.M.Vengadasaminattar, Saradha Paublication, Chennai.
- Dhuraisamibillai., Avai.,S.(1996). Puranaanuru, Kalagaveliyidu, Chennai
- Karthikesusivathambi, (2010), pandai Tamil samukam, New Century Book House, Chennai.
- Thamizannal, (2009). Sangamarapu, Sinthamani Pthippagam, Madurai.